If your Bristol is stolen !

I would like to bring to the notice of Forum members a useful facility to aid the police recover a stolen car. It seems a good idea when one thinks of the devastation if one’s Bristol was stolen – it doesn’t bear thinking about.

I was very interested to learn about the police lost and stolen goods database at http://thenmpr.com . Described as ” helps UK Police forces to identify the owner of lost & stolen goods thousands of times every day.  Loss & theft updates you make are immediately available to the police nation-wide “.

Your Bristol can be registered on the police database free of charge via. a free account at www.immobilise.com. I have registered my 403 and I have given a visual description together with registration number and, importantly, chassis and engine numbers. Combined with photos of side and frontal aspects, hopefully it now has an improved chance of detection should I report it to the police as stolen.

Registration of the car details on the website was uncomplicated and I am posting this in the belief that there may be others who see a benefit in doing the same.

Dave Dale.

Nearing 70 years old ? – UK driving licence regulations ( current at March 2013 )

UK DRIVING LICENCE RENEWAL  ( Correct at March 2013 )

 The BODA membership list does not show the ages of the individual members. However, I surveyed a sea of youthful faces in front of me as I gave the FBHVC report to the BODA AGM in October last year. If the attendees at the AGM were representative of the membership as a whole we are indeed a youthful club. Nevertheless, there may be just one or two UK members reading this article who may have an interest in the following. The FBHVC gives guidance on UK driving licence renewal at age 70 years.

What happens to my driving entitlements when I reach 70?

At age 70, driving licences expire and must be renewed every three years thereafter. From 1998, new drivers have been required to pass additional tests for categories B+E, C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E but existing holders of a general car licence at that date were effectively given ‘grandfather’ rights to the new categories until renewal. These ‘grandfather’ rights, however, are not renewed automatically, so if you wish to retain them after 70, you must ask to do so and will need to provide a medical certificate with the renewal request. (A medical certificate is not required for categories B + E alone).

The new categories mentioned are as follows :


Motor cars and light vans up to 3500kg maximum authorised mass   (MAM) with no more than eight passenger seats. Also allowed to tow a trailer   up to 750kg gross provided the total MAM of vehicle and trailer does not   exceed 3500kg.

B auto

As B, but limited to vehicles with automatic transmission


As B, but with a larger trailer than allowed under B. MAM of   trailer must not exceed unladen weight of towing vehicle and total MAM of   vehicle and trailer may not exceed 3500kg.


Medium sized vehicles between 3500 and 7500kg MAM with no more   than eight passenger seats. Also allowed to tow a trailer up to 750kg gross.


As C1, but with a larger trailer, up to total 12000 kg MAM. MAM   of trailer must not exceed unladen weight of towing vehicle.


Mini buses with minimum of 9 and maximum 16 passenger seats.   Also allowed to tow a trailer up to 750kg gross.

D1 + E

As D1, but with a larger trailer, up to total 12000 kg MAM. MAM   of trailer must not exceed unladen weight of towing vehicle.

( MAM = Maximum Authorised Mass )                                                         

 I have recently replaced my licence and find some of my previous entitlements have been lost: why – and what can I do about it?

In some cases, previously held entitlements have been dropped either when renewing at age 70 (see previous question) or when notifying a change of address. In other cases, the loss of entitlement is usually related to motorcycles and almost invariably results from the holder failing to submit their pass certificate within the relevant time period. At one time, this had to be done within 10 years of the test pass but this generous period of grace was subsequently reduced first to three years and is now two years. If an applicant can provide an old licence showing that an entitlement was valid and properly notified, DVLA will reinstate it. Otherwise, there is no option but to submit to a new test.

BOC members may therefore benefit from the knowledge that some categories of the licence have to be requested upon renewal – or they will be lost.

Whilst on the subject of licencing entitlements, I wondered which types of vehicles I can legally drive on UK roads with my category B  UK driving licence. The FBHVC provides the following answer:     ( For the record, I also have a category A entitlement (unlimited motorcycle) – although my Triumph Bonneville and Norton Commando days are long gone ).

What kind of large (or unusual) vehicles can I drive on a normal car licence?

At the present time, the holder of a full category B licence may drive the following vehicles without seeking further qualification:

Steam vehicles; goods vehicles made before 1960 used unladen; buses or coaches over 30 years old carrying no more than 8 passengers; road construction machinery, digging machines & engineering plant; works trucks; tractors & agricultural vehicles; certain breakdown vehicles.

Dave Dale.   BODA representative to the FBHVC.   1st. March 2013

The material for this article has mainly been gleaned from FBHVC

publications and kindly allowed to be reproduced here by the FBHVC.