Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: GeneralMy First Bristol
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My First Bristol

Who said the Bristol 401 was  no good for towing I used mine for towing my stock cars around the race tracks ok

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1QgTRAVr7R1hDnke9

just hope this link works if  it will I have learnt another skill

My old redge No was LXB123

My 405 also had a tow hitch when I bought it in 2004. The previous owner had used it for towing trials motorbikes. I removed it!

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hi Richard just noticed the No plate lamp can supply this as a new quality repro  all chrome on brass  if anyone needs one

they cum with two types of fixings back mount or bottom fix

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZYW7YDMsfR8Uyz5j6

The only question is where did they attach the mountings for the tow bar. There isn't much which is strong enough at the back of a Bristol chassis. I could see it working if the tow bar is fastened to the chassis members. It would be interesting to see a photo of the underneath of the 405.

Best wishes to all

Michael Barton

My old 410 had a tow bar consisting of a metal angle iron fitted between the main bumper mount and I think from memory two frame irons going back from that and bolted into the boot floor. The ball hitch itself was mounted through the bumper via two what I think were professionally made alloy spacers, one fitting between the bumper and contoured to sit tight behind it, the other contoured to fit the outside of the bumper and presenting a flat vertical face to mount the tow ball which was bolted through the spacers bumper and cross bar. With the tow ball removed there was no indication that a tow bar was fitted to the car. I never used it but  took the view it might have been for light work but may be wrong.

My 603 is a different proposition altogether and has a stronger towing arrangement than my Range Rover this was engineered by the previous owners Robert and Edward Hathaway, again there is a substantial cross bar mounted off the main bumper mounts and going back from this two equally substantial steel sections running back from this and bolting to the main chassis by the suspension units, I can't remember on this one it it is also bolted to the boot floor but next time the car is on the lift I will take some pictures of the arrangement. I have used it to tow a camping trailer and two trailer tents and I am confident strength wise it could handle my car trailer and caravan but have they old workhorse to  deal with those. It really comes into its own going to vintage shows when we want to camp on site.

I know of a least one other V8 fitted with a tow bar a 408 belonging to Mike Haig who sometimes displays it with a classic  caravan at the Great Dorset Steam Fair also perhaps of interest is the fact that Watling Towbars have listed and can supply towbars for the 406's to the 412's, these might even fit some of the later models.

Geoff.

Quote from michbart on December 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

The only question is where did they attach the mountings for the tow bar. There isn't much which is strong enough at the back of a Bristol chassis. I could see it working if the tow bar is fastened to the chassis members. It would be interesting to see a photo of the underneath of the 405.

It was definitely not fit for purpose which is why it was removed straight away. Probably OK for light loads like motor-cycles which is what the previous owner used it for.

Richard

This is so interesting.

I have never seen (well noticed maybe) a Bristol fitted with a towbar and just assumed it was not a realistic proposition given the eggshell we call a boot.  I guess anything can be engineered if the willingness is there.  Still I think I will leave the towing to my Disco 2.

This got me thinking.  Has anyone ever fitted a roof rack to a Bristol?

Stuart

Now theirs a thought look a bit weird though  ?

did think of fitting a Porsche type Aerofoil to the boot lid   (not long though )