Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Self introduction: Bristol 408 7023

I should probably introduce myself. As the new custodian of this 408, I expect to be asking a lot of questions.

I do not have the car in my possession yet as I need to make space in my garage! Very frustrating!

I had always admired Bristols - right back to the days of reading LJK Setright's writings in, I think Car magazine, in the 70s. There used to be a 411 parked on the street outside the flat I shared in London in 1977 that I would pass most mornings.

Over the last 10 years, I have occasionally looked at adverts of Bristols for sale but they were always either too pricey, too far away to inspect or looked in poor shape. Suddenly this one turned up only 90 minutes from my home. In short, the condition impressed me and driving it overcame my reluctance to have an RHD car here in the USA.

I know a little of the car's history. First registered in 1964, and blue, it was exported to the US in 1992 after restoration, in red, It had no engine. Here a Chrysler 360 was fitted. It was in Minnesota, then West Virginia and finally bought by the last owner and moved to Florida in 2009.

I look forward to getting to know the car and this group,

David Womby

David,

Welcome, I had a 408 many years ago, my first V8 , loved the car and always regretted that a job change and move forced a sale, it was a really well made model  and retained some of the feel and road manners of the earlier cars on its Avon Turbospeed tyres, with the larger engine it should perform really well and I am am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Geoff.

Quote from Geoff on 12 December 2020, 13:11

David,

Welcome, I had a 408 many years ago, my first V8 , loved the car and always regretted that a job change and move forced a sale, it was a really well made model  and retained some of the feel and road manners of the earlier cars on its Avon Turbospeed tyres, with the larger engine it should perform really well and I am am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Geoff.

Thanks, Geoff.   I am really looking forward to getting my hands one it.  I think the tyres on it are Michelin 185r16.

regards

David